Come along with me on a Friday romp — this story is going to weave together punk rock dreams, self-publishing, Roller Derby, Social Distortion, and...Read More
Happy Birthday, Grandmaster Flash
Grandmaster Flash turned 51 yesterday.
Ten Reasons Grandmaster Flash Totally Rules:
10. In 2007, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five were the first hip hop/ rap artists to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
9. Flash formed the Furious Five with, among others, Mele Mel. (ahem)
8. Grandmaster Flash was the first artist to play the turntable like an instrument.
7. He wears a hat better than you.
6. “Do not let any record company disturb your creative flow. You are not writing for the record company. You’re writing for the public.” — Grandmaster Flash
5. He started mixing because he couldn’t break dance.
4. His boombox is bigger than yours.
3. For making coke seem like a completely stupid thing to do in “White Lines.”
2. “The Message”
Don’t push me ’cause I’m close to the edge
I’m trying not to loose my head
It’s like a jungle sometimes
It makes me wonder how I keep from going under
And the #1 Reason Grandmaster Flash Totally Rules…
1. He took the name GRANDMASTER FLASH.
More Like This...
When I was about 12 years old, I went roller skating at the Roller Roost II every weekend, and I was desperately in love with...Read More