Come along with me on a Friday romp — this story is going to weave together punk rock dreams, self-publishing, Roller Derby, Social Distortion, and...Read More
At the pool a few weeks ago, Dave and I tried to think of all the songs we knew with “summer” in the title. I wasted a better part of this afternoon tracking them down, discovering new ones, and whittling down the list to the ones I liked the most.
The only rule was that it had to have some form of “summer” in the title. I cheated on the first song, but whatever… it’s my list. Many of them are cringe-worthy, but I have no pride.
If you see me at a stoplight during the next few weeks, I’ll be blasting this on my car stereo.
[Searching for videos on YouTube was hilarious. I’m still astonished by what people spend their time doing so they can videotape it and post it online. The irony of that statement is not lost on me as I reflect on my obsessive time with iTunes and my Firefox browser this afternoon.]
1. What Time Is It – High School Musical
2. Summer In The City – Butthole Surfers
3. School’s Out For Summer – Alice Cooper
4. The Boys Of Summer – The Ataris
5. Cruel Summer – Bananarama
6. Taste The Summer – Duran Duran
7. In The Summertime – Shaggy
8. Summertime – Sublime
9. Summertime – Will Smith & DJ Jazzy
10. Summertime – New Kids On The Block
11. The Other Side Of Summer – Elvis Costello
12. All Summer Long – Kid Rock
13. Last Day of Summer – Kurt Nilsen
14. Summer of ’69 – Bowling for Soup
15. Summer Nights – John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John