Even though I don't do Crossfit anymore, I still think of my workout as a WOD. Giving something a name or title assigns it with...Read More
Careful What You Wish For…
A week or so ago, I wrote an email to Carey, asking her if we could throw around some heavy weights in our CrossFit Women class. I said:
There are three reasons I want to try a workout like that:
1. It scares the crap out of me, and it’s been too long since I did some new, scary stuff.
2. I think it would really give my fat loss a kick in the pants if I lifted heavy once a week.
3. The strength you and Crystal demonstrated at the CrossFit Games is really inspiring and I want to see what it feels like to get strong.
This morning, this was written on the whiteboard:
5 x 5 Power Cleans
So… the good news:
1. I set a PR of 80 lbs. (mostly ’cause I’ve never done Power Cleans before). That seems like not very much weight to me, but whatever. I’ll take it… for now.
2. When I got frustrated (and believe me, I reached stratospheric levels of frustration this morning), I walked around and then bellied up the bar again.
3. I didn’t quit, even though I really, really, REALLY wanted to. I muddled through all five rounds.
4. Carla, Lizette, Erika, and Bonita all PR’d, too. Big whoops of joy to Erika for making the 90-lb. bar cry like newly-crowned beauty queen… and to Bonita for making 145lbs. look like featherweight.
Oh! The bad news:
1. I kinda suck at Power Cleans. I’m not very skilled at the Hang Clean or the Squat Clean, and this was way, WAY worse. [Dear elbows, Do you think you cloud please learn to swing around to the front more quickly, and maybe – if you wouldn’t mind – loosen up a little so I can raise you higher in the front? That would really help with my clean. Please? Thank you! Mel]
2. I’m probably going to be wicked sore tomorrow. (But in the grand scheme of things, this one probably maybe belongs in the ‘good’ list.)
Thank you, Carey, for helping us spread our wings into new territory. Thank you, Carla, for being my support crew. It was frexciting!