When last we left the riveting story of my ongoing adventures in functional medicine, it was August, and I'd just been to my first appointment...Read More
Blame the Amoxicillin?
Last night, I got caught up watching the first of the two-part finale of Dancing with the Stars and forgot to take my evening dose of the antibiotic Amoxicillin. I was watching the show and laughing and bending and not needing to lie down… I even made myself a snack. In short, I was feeling pretty good and more like my old self.
I didn’t realize ’til the show was over that I missed my 8:00 p.m. meds. So I took my giant pill and about 15 minutes later, got really woozy and shortly thereafter, fell into a deep sleep for the whole night.
A little Webbernet research gave me this:
Amoxicillin side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- agitation, confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior; or
- seizure (black-out or convulsions).
Less serious side effects are more likely to occur, such as:
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain;
- vaginal itching or discharge;
- swollen, black, or “hairy” tongue; or
- thrush (white patches or inside your mouth or throat).
I’m glad to say I don’t have a black, hairy tongue, but I have been headachey, more moody than usual, and fatigued, so maybe it’s the amoxicillin that’s making my recovery less-than-fabu. I have a follow-up appointment with the doctor tomorrow, so maybe he can change my Rx.
I ventured out today… Magnolia Cafe for huevos rancheros and some socialization time. It was kind of a rough trip. It’s still pretty hard to hold my head up for very long, and my emotions were all over the place. The food was good, though, and it was nice to comb my hair and wear real clothes for a little while. Now I’m back in bed with a supply of CSI:NY and NCIS episodes.