Sesame-Garlic Nori Chips

Sometimes I want to chow down like a teenager: just lie in front of the TV watching something craptastic, and snarf a crispy, salty snack.

But my ever-present adult voice knows that no amount of salty goodness will ever recreate that fleeting combination of utter lack of responsibility and complete, open possibility.

Doesn’t mean I won’t try, though.

One could argue, I suppose, that I should be past mindless, indulgent snacking – that all meals and snacks should be deliberately consumed, with full consciousness of the activity, eaten at the dining table with a napkin on my lap.

Most days, I eat my breakfast at the table; I eat lunch with a knife and fork seated at my kitchen counter; I eat dinner at the table with my handsome husband; and I sometimes eat snacks where and when I can: at the gym, in the car, on the bed, walking around the house

I’ve given up just about every other vice; once in a while, I eat like an animal, and I like it.

A while back, The Minimalist in The New York Times offered a recipe for chips made from nori. I tried the recipe as written and with some variations; I like my variations the best.

The Minimalist mentioned potato chips so many times in his piece, I think my expectations were inappropriately set. So let me tell you: These do NOT taste like potato chips.

However, they are crispy. They’re salty. And with the addition of seasonings, they’re really irresistible. Plus, making them yourself is ever so much more reasonable in the finance department than buying Sea Snax. MAKE THEM YOURSELF! THEY’RE SO EASY! (Plus, there’s a bonus, non-recipe recipe at the end for the fastest nori chips ever.)

dotted line

Sesame-Garlic Nori Chips

Makes 42 chips | Prep 10 min | Cook 15 min | Whole30 compliant

• 12 nori sheets

• water

• 1 tablespoon sesame oil

• 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)

• pinch ground cayenne pepper

• salt, to taste

• 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds

Preheat the oven to 275 F. Cover two large baking sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil.

Place 6 sheets of nori, shiny side up, on the baking sheets. With a pastry brush, lightly brush the shiny side of the nori with water, being sure to reach the edges, then carefully align another sheet of nori on top and press them together. Repeat with the remaining sheets until they’re all buddied up.

Using kitchen shears or a sharp knife, cut the nori into 1-inch strips, then cut those strips in half crosswise. You should end up with about 42 chips. Arrange the chips in a single layer on the baking sheets.

In a small bowl, combine the sesame oil, garlic, and cayenne. Use the pastry brush to coat the top the chips, then sprinkle generously with salt. Use your fingers to sprinkle the sesame seeds across the tops of the chips.

Place on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. They will crisp and turn a deep, glossy green. Remove from the oven, taste and sprinkle with more salt if you like, and allow them to cool before eating for maximum crunch.

dotted lineYou Know How You Could Do That?

Follow the instructions above, but replace the ingredients with these…

Southwest Nori Chips
  • 12 nori sheets

• water

• 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted

• 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)

• 1 teaspoon paprika

• 1 teaspoon chili powder

• salt, to taste

Toasted Onion Nori Chips
  • 12 nori sheets

• water

• 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted

• 1/2 tablespoon onion salt

• 1 tablespoon dried chives

Fastest-Ever Nori Chips
These have less flavor than the real recipe above, but they come together really fast. Like, “I want a salty something with my lunch right now,” fast. Sometimes, that’s all you need.

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cut nori sheets into 6 pieces. Place in pan and heat until darker in color and crisp. Devour.

dotted line

Print this recipe
Onions 101

Last summer, I told Farmer Chuck — the king of everything delicious at our CSA Sunrise Farm — that the onions we'd been getting in our basket were...

Paleo Pink Pickled Eggs & Beets

I've been joking that I'm becoming a homesteader since we moved to Vermont. That is an (unintentional) insult to homesteaders everywhere. Preserving things during the...

• Catherine Hart Rebholz says:

Oh, I'm making these! Not only did I happen to just buy some Nori Sheets, but I also just burnt my zucchini chip attempt. I was trying to make zucchini chips to satisfy the exact feeling you describe. I'm on it!

• Melicious says:

I'll be excited to hear what you think. I'm kind of curious now and want to try them with different seasonings… or spritzing with that wheat-free tamari sauce instead of water… hmmmmm.

• Amber says:

I like kale chips, though they're a pain to get just right. These sound neat! Any vehicle for sesame seeds sounds good to me 😉

• anniebug says:

YUM! Nori anything…I will nom nom nommmm all over. Delish!

• Melanie says:

So good !! (I <3 nori and am in sushi withdrawal.. obvs need to make some Paleo sushi rolls soon)..! Next time I will experiment using toasted sesame oil instead of olive oil and see what happens!

• Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Between this comment and the salad idea, you've made me crave nori chips. I'm definitely going to have to make them again. Thanks for the reminder!

• Anonymous says:

I am going to try this…Thanks

• Kelly says:

I’ve made these twice since you’ve posted! I’ve only bought the seaweed chips, never made them on my own. They are GREAT sprinkled with wasabi powder too. It goes well with the flavor of the seaweed. Thanks for the idea!

• Mel says:

I’ve been thinking I need to revisit these. I made them so long ago — before my taste buds had really committed to clean eating. I’ve been making kale chips a lot, but I think I’m going to give the nori another try. Thanks for the tip on the wasabi — can’t wait to try it!

• Miranda says:

Thank you so much for the nori chips recipe. I have been craving something crunchy and chip like. I just made them and my 4 year old keeps asking for more. I will definitely try other seasonings and will make the kale chips this weekend.

• Eleanor says:

Thank you so much- watched the Mark Bittman video but your explanation was clearer. Looking forward to the ( not potato chip) chips !!

• Stuart Woolger says:

This is the first recipie I’ve tried out of your fab book and they are great. I do miss chips (crisps as we call them in the UK) and these fill that gap!

I lied.. I did your scotch eggs from the free PDF preview chapter of your book ….

They were amazing and sold the book to me :-)

Great work Mel,
    From your UK fan club :-)

• Mel says:

Hooray! Glad you like them! That salty crunch is pretty good, right?! Plus, extra bonus of them being nutrition packed!

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you’re enjoying the recipes!

• Tina says:

So, I bought some pre-made wasabi nori chips the other day and LOVED them. I tried to make some today, but I don’t think I did it right. Mixed the wasabi powder with olive oil then spread it on the cut nori strips. Anyone know the best way to do it?

• Phoebe says:

Yum! I just made these and they are amazing! I sprinkled them with a combination of standard sesame seeds, black sesaeme seeds and some togarashi (japanese seven spice). Great finger food to go with a bowl of freshly cooked edamame!

• tab says:

You are a genius. I made these for my 5 year old daughter and she begged me for more. On the second batch I made myself some with vinegar instead of water and they were amazing! Thanks!

• Cindy says:

These look yummy! Looking for something to replace the bagel chips & pretzels in Chex mix– would this work, and stay crisp?